I was at work on Friday and was informed that 2 student archaeology positions have open up. It's for the NRCS (Natural Resources Conservation Service) which is a small federal department within the USDA. I thought I would pass it along to you guys, in case you or someone you know is looking for an archaeology 'in' with the federal government.
There is one position available in Red Bluff and another in Redlands (both fairly far away from Sacramento, unfortunately) and the term will last until September 30,2010 -- though if they like the student, they almost always extend their term of employment. If they can't find any students they will open it up to the general public as a temporary full-time position. I'll let you know if that happens.
There are some general requirements: must be a student (enrolled but not yet attending is OK), and they must have had a field school.
If you know anyone who might be interested, feel free to give them my email-
carrie{dot}peters{at}ca{dot}usda{dot}gov and I'll get them in contact with my supervisor.
P.S. The anticipated pay is GS-5, but may increase based on education level.