After my exciting afternoon at the state archives I hopped over to the California Museum to check out their baskets. It was a really beautiful exhibit. I thought it was interesting that they presented the baskets as art, by calling the show American Masterpieces, but they also gave some focus to the weavers and on the making of the baskets, I especially liked the display of a basket in the process of being woven, it was so cool to see the intricate design in the center with all the loose fibers coming out of it. It gave me a new appreciation for just how difficult it must be weave.

I really like how they had the raw materials available to see. If we can swing getting some of the plant material that our basket (when we pick it) was made of, I think it would really add some context to the first part of the exhibit.

I also liked how they numbered the baskets and then used those numbers to refer to the baskets in the larger narratives about the weavers on the wall. That might be a good way for us to refer people to other baskets as they are follow our "basket lifeway."

On a side note, the total geek in me got a thrill out of seeing R2D2 and C3PO on the first floor of the museum =)

3 Comments:

  1. Mary said...
    Thanks for the ideas on the baskets and how they were made. I saw the exhibit last summer, but probably should see it again since I am working on Team 1. It would be beneficial.
    Holly said...
    Um....you are a total geek : )
    That basketry exhibition is well done, except a few areas were a little too dark to read the labels. And, the big map thing wasn't working when I was there. But, it's hard to go wrong with baskets.
    But, on an exhibit note - I can ask around at the Maidu museum if there is a way we can get some raw materials or basket starts to borrow.
    Carrie said...
    hehe, I am proud of my geekiness =p

    You're right, i did notice that it was a little too dark. And I had no idea what the big map thing was, it's apparently still not working.

    That would be great if you can get some leads on basket materials and starts. Thanks in advance for looking into that.

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home

Blogger Template by Blogcrowds