I've been checking out the inventory lists and I think we should start seriously narrowing down our possibilities for a basket to follow through the exhibit and get something picked ASAP.

I really like Mary's idea of using the McCloud Area Burden Basket. It would give us a good opportunity to compare a well-worn used basket to one that wasn't used. I think this basket has a lot of potential for telling a good story.

Another idea is to pick a basket that has a known maker. If we could find some information about the maker, that could also tell a really good story. That leaves the 'Widow's cap made by Metaha from Requa, near Eureka' as a possibility.

Or we could use the "Shaman's basket" that Dr. C mentioned. Which one is that on the inventory list? Is it the trinket basket or maybe the elongated bowl with feathers? Is it OK to display something that may need NAGPRA consultation in the future?

What do you guys think would be best? I think that's all the ideas I have for now. I'm off to enjoy the rest of my Sunday and watch the USA-Canada hockey game =)

5 Comments:

  1. Holly said...
    There's a bride cap made by Daisy Jacob that I think would be a good choice. We know the maker which and the intended use which makes it a good candidate for NAGPRA. Plus, there will be opportunities for solid research. Just my two cents ; )
    I'm trying to do homework & watch hockey. Not working too well, homework is losing.
    Museum Anthropologist said...
    I'm watching the hockey game, too, now in OT, I guess. Anyway, I've been researching info for both Teams 1 and 2 this weekend (especially the weavers because we do have to land on the featured objects in order for all teams to move forward). I've located a couple of the cap weavers (including DJ) on the Hoopa and Klamath censuses for 1900 and also some newspaper articles on JS, Jr. (from about 5 yrs old on) in the Placerville Record (all via ancestry.com). I have to make sure we actually have the bride's cap--I'm not sure if his catalog really squares with out records, but will investigate on campus tomorrow. More over at my place in a few minutes.
    Carrie said...
    What a good game that was. I'm sad to see US lose, but at least it was to Canada!

    The bride cap sounds like a great choice too, if it's in the collection. Maybe we can set out these options on Wednesday and a make a final decision then. It might be easier if everyone can look at them.

    Also, I would very much like to help with the ancestry.com research. I'd like to see if there is any more info for the Cottons. Maybe I could do some of that Wednesday morning?
    Museum Anthropologist said...
    When are you on campus (and "free") on Wednesday?
    Carrie said...
    I should be on campus by about 11, and am available anytime.

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home

Blogger Template by Blogcrowds