I got the events schedule today at work for the Native American Culture Days held at UC Davis. They are doing a lot of great stuff for the week (April 5-11), but they are presenting a lecture that I thought sounded particularly interesting:

Traditional and Contemporary Uses of Plant Materials by California Indians; Tuesday April 6 12:00 -1:00 Hart Hall 3201
presented by the Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) partnering with the California Indian Basketweavers Association (CIBA)
Basketry techniques as well as plant use and management for different goods will be demonstrated and discussed. Current natural resource issues for weavers and others will be discussed.

I'm considering going, even though it is inconveniently occurring the day before our opening. I would still make it to the museum in the afternoon at least. I'd have to miss folklore that day too, so I'll have to talk to Dr. Bishop...but it sounds so cool.

Anyone else interested in going?

for more info: http://ccc.ucdavis.edu/culture_weeks/nacd.html

4 Comments:

  1. Mary Benton said...
    Hi Carrie, Yeah, this is something I'd be interested in too. We have the opportunity to go to the PowWow for extra credit for Ethnic America in Dr. Baker's class, but I'd bet he'd give me credit for this instead. I'd have to miss folklore also and I have a paper due in CA History that day. We can talk when it gets closer to the time. Thanks for the info!
    Mary
    Carrie said...
    Awesome. If you can make it that would be great. Also FYI- looks like our folklore class is furloughed that day, so at least we don't have to worry about that!

    Ok..back to the studying. Good luck on the test tomorrow =)
    Stacey Wong said...
    I need help identifying plant materials and weaving techniques described in Shanks' book. I think that will help me when I'm researching my objects. It sounds like the lecture covers that. If so, I'd like to go.
    Carrie said...
    Stacey, I'm pretty sure that's what it will cover...at least that's what I'm hoping for too!

    Since I have a furlough day on the 6th I am most likely going. Maybe I'll see you and Mary there =)

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home

Blogger Template by Blogcrowds