I found a draft registration card for Joel Sheldon Cotton last week and I thought it was really cool. I assumed that he must have served in the war for a time, even if it's not mentioned in the articles about him.
But now, upon closer inspection, I'm beginning to doubt my original assumption. The Registration card is dated September 12, 1918 - he would have been 43, a little old for the draft. Plus the Obituary mentions that he moved to Ft. Bragg because of his poor health, which is also not really something the Army is looking for in a soldier.
So, boo. I thought I had a great little addition to his story, but I think all I have is a registration card and no actually drafting to accompany it. (well, boo for me...I'm sure he was pretty happy about it)
What do y'all think? Is it possible that this is a sign of him entering the military? or is it just piece of government paperwork that was never used to send him anywhere?
Labels: Research, The Cottons
I found this online:
"May 1917 - Congress passes the Selective Service Act,establishing local, district, state, and territorial civilian boards to register men between the ages of 21 and 30 for service in World War
One. There is much opposition. During the first drawing, 50,000 men apply for exemptions and
over 250,000 fail to register at all. In one round-up held in New York City in 1918 to catch those
who failed to report, 16,000 men are arrested. After the war ends, efforts to set up standard
military training and service are defeated in Congress."
I like the document because it shows his occupation as high school principal.
Thanks for the bit of history. I wonder if the Gov't had every adult male fill out a registration card at the beginning of the Selective Service Act. I know it says 21 - 30, but I'm going to see if I can find anything about all men needing to be in the system for some reason...a woman's research is never done! =p